New York Times Article: Single, and Singular, Women Become Her
Cherry Jones
You will learn from my blog posts that I have an enormous obsession with theatre; I just do. There is something about dressing in your finest clothing on a Friday night and going out to the theatre. Every week I read a few articles from the theatre section of The New York Times. One of last weeks articles was based on the acclaimed broadway actress; Cherry Jones. If you are a huge "broadway buff" like me, you may have seen her in the award winning show, "Doubt". You may have also seen her on the small screen in "24". Because of the article I gained more respect for Ms. Jones. The article basically gives the reader an insight into the mind of an artist, and Cherry Jones' many dreams, and imperfections.
In the article Cherry Jones says, "I'm really not a very good actress. Let me explain. I don't have a very analytical mind, though I have a good imagination. I'm also not facile with language, and I don't have much irony. I'm a good Tennessee girl with a fairly literal mind. I stress too much. I pose too much. I desperately need a good director, someone like Doug, to break me down and just get me to say it- to stop acting and let these great minds that I'm fortunate enough to play have their say."
Cherry Jones' words are so inspirational for me and for any artist, I believe. By this quote, Ms. Jones is letting all aspiring artists know that she is not perfect, and that no one should expect to be. Acting is a process that will never reach the perfection that an artist longs for. Once people realize that, that is when true growth will take place. If one were to become a perfect actor, there would be no need to act. Cherry Jones lives a representation of our world, as every actor should. She lives and breathes the situations and outcomes of our world. How could she or any artist be perfect when the world we are set out to represent is not perfect? Imperfections are beautiful; that is what Cherry Jones lives by, and everyone should. A world without imperfections is a world without progress.
Acting is the art and expression of imperfections.
I would like to leave you all with this quote:
"The ability to play the clarinet is the ability to overcome the imperfections of the instrument. There's no such thing as a perfect clarinet, never was and never will be."
-Jack Brymer

No comments:
Post a Comment